Author Topic: I paint stuff.  (Read 8742 times)

Offline devasra

• Master

Offline NapoleonDynamite

• Expert
Re: I paint stuff.
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2014, 01:29:29 pm »
http://techgnotic.deviantart.com/journal/Fan-Art-Law-326536193

Q: Can I copyright my own fan art which is based on already copyrighted material?

A: It depends on how much of the original work you used and if the original work can be completely removed from the second work. When you file for a copyright you must disclose all pre-existing content that does not belong to you and you must have authority to use it. That’s a complicated question with fan art.

So that being said Rhapp's fan art is completely original and her own since none of the official work coming from IMC was used. It was used as a basis for inspiration if you want to go there.

In fact I have a Grace Bernelli fan art that came from an artist that I purchased off at Anime North last year. Why isn't she being sued then?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:33:19 pm by NapoleonDynamite »

Offline WorkSafeBC

• Master
  • We are not the same.
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 09:34:46 pm »
http://techgnotic.deviantart.com/journal/Fan-Art-Law-326536193

Q: Can I copyright my own fan art which is based on already copyrighted material?

A: It depends on how much of the original work you used and if the original work can be completely removed from the second work. When you file for a copyright you must disclose all pre-existing content that does not belong to you and you must have authority to use it. That’s a complicated question with fan art.

So that being said Rhapp's fan art is completely original and her own since none of the official work coming from IMC was used. It was used as a basis for inspiration if you want to go there.

In fact I have a Grace Bernelli fan art that came from an artist that I purchased off at Anime North last year. Why isn't she being sued then?

Because I didn't know about it. Give me the address of that artist, I am going to blackmail her.  :P

Offline Frankenstein

• High Master
  • Preventing Master from another 820 year slumber
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »
We've spent nearly a page and a half about the subject of illegal/legal, instead of the artist's work... Can we stop this and let this subject be what it was intended for? :\  There are plenty of other threads to go troll.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:51:11 pm by Frankenstein »

Banner by Mr. Tears™

Offline Qwiwe

• Master
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2014, 07:03:18 am »
Nah, I was informing the threadstarter that they could get themselves into some legal trouble if they intend to actually sell the pieces and I also have a problem with people making money off of intellectual property that does not belong to them.

Also, you people seem to be confused to what a troll actually is, I don't know what everyone's definition of a troll is but this is mine: a person who initiates nonsensical conflict, when there isn't one, in the intent of causing grief or garner attention. It seems that people are too quick to draw the troll card, not to say I haven't made any comments in jest, but that's what they were, simply in jest, whenever I actually had a problem with someone's actions or words I made it clear and supported my argument accordingly, this is a public forum and to expect that what you say or do here won't be criticized is overly conceited.

Offline Alcrod0970

• Expert
  • Kpop Yeah!!!
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2014, 09:22:43 am »
Well that's where you're wrong. Unless IMC Hanbit soft or any of its subsidiaries say anything than they have every right to do with their art work they see fit. Until then it's not your place to police what others do. So unless you have some interest other than a casual gamer stay out of others business. If IMC or any other company sees fit to sue someone that's their business not yours.

Offline Qwiwe

• Master
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2014, 11:02:08 am »
Wrong.

You just wanted to shitpost here.

You've been reported anyway.
?? I agreed with Dobsy's post, well just on the amazing part, should have been more specific. Also, since you believe to think my definition of a troll is wrong, then maybe you are the troll? takes one to know one.

Well that's where you're wrong. Unless IMC Hanbit soft or any of its subsidiaries say anything than they have every right to do with their art work they see fit. Until then it's not your place to police what others do. So unless you have some interest other than a casual gamer stay out of others business. If IMC or any other company sees fit to sue someone that's their business not yours.
I would have to argue that you would be wrong on both accounts, the first one, that this being a case of respecting others privacy/business and the second that Rhappsody has the right to sell IMC's intellectual property rights just because they don't say anything. So the first point, this is not a simple case of respecting other people's privacy because she came on these public forums, as soon as he/she did, it ceased to become private, that was his/her own decision and as a member of this community I gave him/her my own opinion on the matter, to say I cannot is ludicrous and shows the hypocrisy of your very words. On the second point, no, just because IMC doesn't sue her does not mean he/she has the right to break copyright laws, rather it only because of social and economic factors that IMC does not. If IMC sued the people who made fan works of their property they would probably receive an unwanted backlash from the community and also, even if IMC wanted to sue all the artists who sold their works it would not be worth time and cost chasing all of them down. Make no mistake if IMC were to in fact sue Rhappsody it would be an extremely easy case to win, unless her work is some sort of parody, strong copyright laws will win almost all the time. So this begs the question, are you saying it is okay to break the law just because the enforcers cannot enforce them? If yes, then we can just stop here because we clearly do not have common ground. Whether or not Rhappsody has been breaking copyright laws was NEVER the question, whether or not he/she intends to continue or not, is. You say I am trying to police him/her but the reality he/she can continue regardless of what I say, perhaps he/she can do the same in court, saying the work is actually a parody...or Asokar.

Offline Irashiryu

• High Master
  • Its just death, nothing serious...
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »
I like how when this guy comes to any topic, it turns into a multi wall-post replies from one or more people to him.
Well, I rather have one-to-one conversations myself, its time consuming to read what a lot of people have to say.

Says the person who created a semi-giant wall of text a page before this. ::)

Offline Irashiryu

• High Master
  • Its just death, nothing serious...
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2014, 03:41:59 pm »
ok I was told by my friends NOT to reply to a troll but i feel i have to say something about this. qwiwi or whatever your name is i feel you should atleast understand what you're saying. where in my post did i say i was selling prints of any of the GE fan art i made? what gave you that impression? i felt like drawing Cherlyn one day and posted it on the forums - people liked it, appreciated it asked if i did commissions -hence the COMMISSION INFO. one player asked me to POST some older fanart i did -hence the ASOKAR, as you so like to call it. but that DOESN'T mean i sell prints of these fanart -i drew these for fun and the quality isn't even for print meaning very low res, quick drawing i drew for the web.

now i ask you, did you seriously think a COMMISSION only meant painting GE characters? lol. people can commission me to paint their butt as long as they pay for the TIME and EFFORT i put into the work, why the hell not? :) i had people asking me to draw PERSONAL characters meaning NON GE characters. seriously think before you speak. i hope we're clear here. now get the hell off my thread. thank you.

P.S i have a feeling he'll go google something just to prove a point again xD

OH, HE WILL...
HE SURE AS HELL WILL...

Offline Qwiwe

• Master
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2014, 04:28:40 pm »
Well, I rather have one-to-one conversations myself, its time consuming to read what a lot of people have to say.
Says the person who created a semi-giant wall of text a page before this. ::)
[/quote]
You misunderstood. I don't mind reading a well written argument by someone, but it is simply time consuming in relationship to the effort required to respect and read what each and every person has to say especially when they are simply "trolling" and not actually contributing anything meaningful to the conversation flow. But what would I know of trolling, I can't even do it right  :'(.

ok I was told by my friends NOT to reply to a troll but i feel the need to say something about this. qwiwi or whatever your name is i think you should atleast understand what you're saying. where in my post did i say i was selling prints of any of the GE fan art i made? what gave you that impression? i felt like drawing Cherlyn one day and posted it on the forums - people liked it, appreciated it asked if i did commissions -hence the COMMISSION INFO. one player asked me to POST some older fanart i did -hence the ASOKAR, as you so like to call it. but that DOESN'T mean i sell prints of these fanart -i drew these for fun and the quality isn't even for print meaning very low res, quick drawing i drew for the web.

now i ask you, did you seriously think a COMMISSION only meant painting GE characters? lol. people can commission me to paint their butt as long as they pay for the TIME and EFFORT i put into the work, why the hell not? :) i had people asking me to draw PERSONAL characters meaning NON GE characters. seriously think before you speak. i hope we're clear here. now get the hell off my thread. thank you.

P.S i have a feeling he'll go google something just to prove a point again xD

Whoa, WHOA. Okay, first off I'd like to direct you to what you said prior to this tirade...

Hi I'm not printing anything for commercial use, these are commissioned work for personal use only. I'm also not trading ingame items for real money. If what I do is illegal then every other artist doing commissioned work in Gaia or Guild Wars should be stoned to death and fed to the alligators :P

I hope you realized that if you had instead replied here with, "No, I am not selling any of these artworks or receiving commissions for artworks based on IMC property" or something along these lines, then all of this could have been avoided, you also can't blame me for being unable to interpret your response in that manner because other people not just myself automatically assumed that you were in fact selling IMC property and proceeded to defend you. Now if I sounded as if I was attempting to lead a personal attack against you or condescending then I do apologize because I did not mean it in that way and I simply wanted to make it clear whether you were in fact stealing copyrighted material for your own benefit and that is all, but this sort of response is completely uncalled for and makes me believe that you are either not willing or unable to see your part in this communication failure. Regardless, as I have stated before, I believe your artwork is splendid, but that is an ENTIRELY different matter in regards to my opinion on theft, but since that is not the case, I will indeed respect the fact that you created this thread and remove my, rather obvious unwanted presence, that being said of course I do look forward to your future works relevant to GE.

Also, pls Google is an excellent tool for a primer on most information and when it fails you can always use Google scholar, anyone who thinks otherwise is outdated and is oblivious to the fact that soon Google will become our new transcendent overlord.

Offline Rhappsody

• Beginner
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2014, 05:41:59 pm »
Whoa, WHOA. Okay, first off I'd like to direct you to what you said prior to this tirade...

Hi I'm not printing anything for commercial use, these are commissioned work for personal use only. I'm also not trading ingame items for real money. If what I do is illegal then every other artist doing commissioned work in Gaia or Guild Wars should be stoned to death and fed to the alligators :P

I hope you realized that if you had instead replied here with, "No, I am not selling any of these artworks or receiving commissions for artworks based on IMC property" or something along these lines, then all of this could have been avoided, you also can't blame me for being unable to interpret your response in that manner because other people not just myself automatically assumed that you were in fact selling IMC property and proceeded to defend you. Now if I sounded as if I was attempting to lead a personal attack against you or condescending then I do apologize because I did not mean it in that way and I simply wanted to make it clear whether you were in fact stealing copyrighted material for your own benefit and that is all, but this sort of response is completely uncalled for and makes me believe that you are either not willing or unable to see your part in this communication failure. Regardless, as I have stated before, I believe your artwork is splendid, but that is an ENTIRELY different matter in regards to my opinion on theft, but since that is not the case, I will indeed respect the fact that you created this thread and remove my, rather obvious unwanted presence, that being said of course I do look forward to your future works relevant to GE.

Also, pls Google is an excellent tool for a primer on most information and when it fails you can always use Google scholar, anyone who thinks otherwise is outdated and is oblivious to the fact that soon Google will become our new transcendent overlord.

I thought you would've have atleast read the entire thread before accusing me of something. I have been drawing for almost 10 years I think I know what I'm doing by now. Also, you misunderstand the concept of doing art commissions. If a person asks an artist to draw a fanart of a final fantasy character for his personal enjoyment or simply because he/she just can't draw, he pays for the artist's time, effort and skill and not "the artist is selling illegal squareenix property." Atleast that's how most people view it.  Now I do apologize for my earlier response, I just have zero tolerance for stuff like this. I didn't want to explain myself because I'm not doing anything wrong. All I wanted was to share my art. But this has gone out of hand.

I say no more hope all is clear now. Thank you.
Long live Illier!

Offline Yvaine125

• Beginner
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2014, 03:23:29 pm »
What  program  do you use  I draw and  paint  to I just  cant find a good  program