Author Topic: Practical character utility guide for beginners.  (Read 7746 times)

Vaduz

Practical character utility guide for beginners.
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:43 pm »
Okay, so I figure what we need is a guide for n00bs to illustrate what each character is good at, how to get the most out of them, and when and where to use them.  I want to focus on the practical applications of each character, so I won't be getting into the numbers and damage formulas here.  This guide will be constantly changing to reflect new information and fix any flawed assumptions I may have.  First I think we should start with the stock characters.  If anyone has differing opinions, ideas, or information, please let me know

NOTE:  More characters and higher levels of those characters means greater family levels.  Multiples of exactly the same character count for less than multiple different characters though.  It should be noted that a male Fighter and a female Fighter count as two different characters, so creating one of each (providing you have the Barrack space), will help boost your family level.

NOTE:  This guide is almost exclusively for PvE as my knowledge and experience with PvP is pretty much non-existent.  Feel free to give me information on PvP so I can add it to this guide.

NOTE ON TANKING:  People occasionally talk about tanking with non-tanking characters (like the Scout).  I want to clarify what this means because, as I see it, this game only has three true tanks.  What I call a "true tank" can not only take a hit, but can also hold aggro.  Being survivable only does so much if the enemies are beating up on someone else instead of you.  The whole point of a tank is to take the hits INSTEAD of your other party members.  Without the ability to hold their attention, a particular character cannot make a good tank.

However, some people have a loose definition of the word "tank".  Sometimes this means you have one character that is going to survive if you happen to take massive damage, like a well-geared Scout with all stat points in HP.  This can be quite useful as the Scout can rez and heal the other members.  This is not true tanking, but it's not a bad tactic.  Long story short, this means that the character in question doesn't need an active tank to take the hits for them.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

STOCK CHARACTERS
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FIGHTER
_______

Melee/Tank

The fighter has the ability to equip nearly all melee weapons, but what you want to be using depends on the circumstances.  The Fighter is not a great DPSer and is overshadowed by nearly every other melee character.  His/her true strength lies in the ability to tank.  So let's break down the best stances for DPS, tanking, and halfway between the two when survivablity is important, but not the number one priority.

NOTE: In addition to making enemies attack your Fighter instead of your squishier characters, the Provoke skill decreases the enemies' defense and movement speed and brings flying enemies down to the ground where your melee attacks can hit them.  Very useful.
------------------------------
Level 1 - 100.

The Fighter's best DPSing stances are Roof Guard for single-target, Blandir Cruz for multi-target, or Heaven or Hell as an alternative to either of the above as it has a three-hit attack cycle.  (More hits per attack cycle are better, but damage per hit is also important.)  For AFK, you can use Heaven or Hell, but Blandir Cruz is probably your best stance for that.

For tanking, High Guard, no question.

If you want a halfway between DPS and tanking, Hack and Slash might be your best bet.  It uses two swords and has a two-hit attack cycle, and also has block, which is important for surviving.
Veteran level.

Here you want to use Sidewinder or Mighty Cruz, depending on whether the polearm or greatsword you have is better.  Low Guard and Avant Garde are acceptable, but are probably not going to do the damage that Sidewinder or Mighty Cruz will.

For tanking, Defender is best.

If you want a halfway stance, then Stave Guard with a shield will do.
Expert Level and beyond.

Hanging Guard or Tronada Cruz is what you want to be using, depending on whether your polearm or greatsword is better, but all things being equal, Tronada Cruz is usually preferred.

For tanking, Crusader all the way.  Best tanking stance in the game, hands down.

For halfway, Equites or Peltast (with a sheild) is the way to go, depending on what gear you have.

NOTE: Any stances not mentioned here are mostly superfluous.  I level them for the sake of completion, but they aren't needed.

As far as stats go (you get extra stat points to spend how you want at Veteran, Expert, and Master levels), you can go all STR, all HP, or some of each depending on how you want to play.  You can always create two Fighters and go all STR with one and all HP for the other.

The usual strategy for a Fighter when tanking is to spam provoke to ensure all the enemies are beating on you.  If you can, get the enemies to clump together in front of you to make AOE attacks by your other characters (or other players) easier.  If you're using Crusader, Keep The Sieger buff up at all times and alternate between Defiance Aura and Temple Breaker (with copious Provokes throughout).  For single-target bosses use the same strategy, but spam Atomic Slash as much as possible.  For REALLY tough fights, or when you're about to get hit by a big attack, use Sacred Guard, but keep in mind you won't be able to use skills while that buff is up and you won't be able to move very fast, but surviving is more important than doing damage when you're tanking.

Overall, the Fighter is a great tank and therefore is a great character to have on your roster.

SCOUT
_____

Melee/Healer/Buffer

Scouts can be tricky or very simple, depending on how deep you want to go into it.  With a Rosario or nothing equipped, the Scout will auto-heal (though there's no excuse not to have a Rosario anymore).  The healing skill isn't hugely important in most cases, but it can be really handy when you're AFK and having trouble staying alive without it.  If there is no danger of dying without healing, you might as well give him/her a dagger and have them do what little DPS they can just to make enemies die a tad bit faster.  Just keep in mind that melee damage with a Scout is terrible.
Level 1 - 100

First Aid is used for healing and rezzing.  You can easily use this stance well into Master levels, though considering how much people tend to rely on potion-popping, this is usually fairly minimal.  Fortitudo is a great starting buffing stance and can be useful even after Vet.  Just keep in mind that two of the four buffs don't stack with each other.

For melee, Corte Duplicado does a tiny bit more damage than Escrima, but Escrima has quite a bit of evasion. When survivablity matters, Escrima is the way to go.  Just keep in mind that you'll have to heal manually when you have daggers equipped.
Veteran level

At Vet you get Tactical Assistance which has buffs that stack with Fortitudo, which is awesome.
Expert level and Beyond

Enhanced Tactics (ET) and Combat Medicine (CM) are what you're going to be using now.  Their buffs don't stack with Fortitudo or Tactical Assistance, but they're better than both combined, so it's okay.  You might need to switch to First Aid for some emergency healing or rezzing, but mostly you buff in ET, then switch to CM for more buffs and traps for at least some damage output.

NOTE: ET has evasion, while CM doesn't.  Therefore, ET is the more survivable of the two.

At this point, if you ever give your Scout a dagger, he/she should be in Arnis.  Forget Escrima or Corte Duplicado, Arnis is better than both combined (and has lots of evasion).  Just keep in mind that Scout melee damage is still terrible.

In particularly difficult battles, especially when the enemeis have AOE attacks, you're better off standing back most of the time, only running in for some emergency healing/rezzing/buffing, and leaving any hopes of DPS behind because you want to keep your Scout alive as much as possible.  For this reason, it is usually recommended to invest all of your stat points into HP.  You can spend stat points into DEX or INT for greater healing and trap damage, but I haven't determined whether or not that would be worthwhile.  In any case, you can always create two Scouts, one with all HP, and another with all DEX or INT and test them on your own to see which you like better.

NOTE:  DEX increases accuracy and crit, which is only important when in Arnis, while INT increases magical resistances, which adds to survivability.  Ultimately, where you put the stat points is your choice.

The scout is a good character to have, but can be overshadowed by other characters you can get later in the game like Emilia, Elisa, and Valeria.  It's still worth having one in your roster as the Scout has greater potential for survivability than they do, and a dead healer is of no use to anyone.

MUSKETEER
_________

Shooter

Musketeers can equip pistols and rifles, and which one you want to be using depends on what you're doing.
Level 1 - 100

I recommend Standing Shot when active playing when you need to move around, Kneeling Shot when you don't, and Double-Gun Shot when you're AFK or have multiple targets to deal with.
Veteran Level

Close Encounters or Outrage Shot when you're active.  Use the latter for AFK.
Expert level and beyond

Flintlock and Unlimited Shot all the way.  Flintlock has almost nothing for AOE (one skill that hits six targets), though it does have a nice debuff (Target Check).  Unlimited Shot has a couple AOEs and is preferred if you're not single-target.  How much damage each one will do compared to the other is not something I'm entirely certain about.  I need to do some testing to find out.  Because only Expert stances use ammo, I recommend putting the Musketeer in Outrage shot for AFK, even after you get the Expert Stances.

Strategies for the Musketeer are pretty simple.  Keep Concentration up (and any buffs the stance may have) and skill spam.  Just make note which skills are AOE and which ones are single-target.

All stat points should be put into DEX for maximum damage output.

Musketeers are easy, straightforward characters to use.  They can do good damage (though they do get overshadowed by characters you can get later) and are worth having in your roster.

WIZARD
______

Magic/Buffer/Debuffer

From what I understand, Wizards were used a lot in PvP back in the day.  I'm not sure how that still stands, but since Telekinesis was added, their usability in PvE is considerably greater than it was.
Level 1 - 100

Psychokinesis is the only DPSing stance the Wizard has before Expert.  It's really only useful as a DPS stance when you're skill spamming as spacebar damage doesn't seem to change regardless of what pre-vet stance you're in.  The other stances are for buffs and debuffs.  ESP gets you some nice shields which reduce the damage you take, The Illusionist is for debuffing, and Levitation has two buffs and two attacks.  Actually working out the best combination isn't easy, especially when some stances use a rod while others use a staff.  Experimentation is highly recommended as only you can decide whether this character is worth it or not.
Veteran Level

Incantation is used for buffing, Anathema is used for debuffing.  You might want to use some pre-vet stances still.  Again, experimentation is encouraged.
Expert Level and beyond

While you might use pre-Expert stances at this point, it's not very likely.  It's mostly all Telekinesis and Darkness from here on in.  Telekinesis is a pretty decent DPSing stance with some good AOEs.  Eraser is a skill that can wipe enemies' buffs and the rest are all AOE attacks.  How this compares to other magical DPSing stances, I'm not sure.  I personally found this to be rather useful.  Darkness is a debuff stance mostly used for the Whole Cancellation skill, which appears to be almost the same as Eraser.  Darkness for a Wizard has become less important because of this.  You can switch between the two in order to circumvent the cooldown, but you'd have to change weapons to do that, so it's hard to say if it's worth it.  All other Darkness skills are more often used in PvP, which is not something I'm very knowledgeable about.

NOTE:  The Wizard isn't very good for AFK.  If you need to AFK with one, put them in a stance that doesn't use up SP or Psychic Spheres.

All stat points should be put into INT for maximum damage output.

The way to use a Wizard is to keep Coruscation active and nuke with Telekinesis, using Eraser when the enemies have those pesky buffs on them.  The Wizard is pretty good for damage (has been for me, anyway), so he/she is worth having on your roster, though characters you get later might be more beneficial.

ELEMENTALIST

Magical

Elementalists (also known as Warlocks) are most useful when you have enemies that are weak against one elemental or another, though their AOE damage is pretty good regardless.
Level 1 - 100

Until you get The Elemental Lord (which is going to be your best stance for a while), just use whatever elemental stance gives you the best advantage at the time.  Keep in mind that the Evocation stances have buffs that can be useful.
Veteran level

Same as above.  Just keep in mind that some stances have movement penalties whereas The Elemental Lord doesn't, though the Domination stances probably will do more damage overall.
Expert Level

Occult Assistance is used for buffing Flare, then you switch to Occult Magic for AOE nuking.  Pretty straightforward.

NOTE:  The Elementalist is not very good at AFK.  If you have to, use The Elemental Lord for it.

The Elementalist is really easy to use.  Buff Elemental Penetration and Flare, then start spamming skills in Occult Magic.  When you have enemies that are weak against a particular element, be sure to use the corresponding skill for maximum damage.

All stat points should go into INT.

Elementalists are your basic AOE nukers.  There are better characters later on, but even in end game you can make use of an Elementalist.  All in all, they're worth having in your roster.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:02:53 pm by Vaduz »

Vaduz

Re: Practical character utility guide for beginners.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »
REBOLDOEUX RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

ANDRE JANZUR

Melee

The usefulness of dual-rapier users have been called into question lately.  Many of us are hoping they will be updated so that they won't be totally overshadowed by Valeria Vendetta and Illusion, but we'll see what happens.  In any case, let's assume your goal is to get every character you possibly can, if for no other reason than to boost your family level.
Level 1 - 100

Epee Garde is used for damage and Sabre Garde is used for survivabliity, but Main-Gauche Garde is your go-to stance for Andre.  It's a compromise between the two, but it's still the best option.
Veteran level

He's got nothing.  Keep using Main-Gauche Garde.
Expert Level

Once you get Rapiere, there's no reason to use anything else ever again.

Andre can equip any armor except Metal.  He also has the highest HP of any rapier user, though Gavin may still be more survivable... and do more damage... and isn't as creepy... Andre really needs an update.

Anyway, the way to use him is to keep Fantastic active and use Ropera every time it comes off cooldown, meanwhile spamming the other attacks as much as possible, favoring Riposte if you have multiple targets (though Rapiere is much better suited for single-target DPS).

All stat points should go to STR.

All in all, Andre is a bit lackluster.  He's in desparate need of an update.  Personally, I think he needs a new rapier and main-gauche stance that'll bring him up to speed with the other rapier users.  I think there's some quests that require having him, though.  So on the whole, he's worthwhile to have, even if he's not as worthwhile to use.

ANGIE MCKENZIE

Builder

Angie is a bit unusual because she can't really equip weapons and she never attacks.  She builds constructions to do that for her.
Level 1 - 100

Construction and Defensive Construction are her bread and butter.  She used to be a massive DPSer because she had both of these stances.  Now, other characters have surpassed her.  The Cannon-Turrets are the best (especially the Siegecannon-Turrets), though you can really go all out and build everything if the need arises.
Veteran level

Nothing.  Same as above.
Expert Level

Once you get Architecture, you're probably not going to use any other stance ever again.

True, she doesn't do as much damage as Jack or Diego, but she'll plop down the constructions faster than either.  Angie's personal skill and Character Buff both reduce the time it takes to build her constructions.  This gives her a big advantage when it comes to getting things started. Be sure to use her personal skill before you start building, and make sure you've got plenty of SP potions on you.

First, lay down Repair Tool, then Regenerator Construction.  Then throw down your Enhanced Rotating Blades and your Electric Punisher.  Do the Detect Web Constructions last as their usefulness is the most limited.  They'll detect invisible enemies and put a web on them.  Woo.

All stat points should go to DEX.

Some quests (though not terribly important ones) require Angie to be in your party.  She's worth checking out as she is very different from the other characters, but her usefulness has been surpassed by some others.

BRUNIE ETIENNE

Shooter

Brunie is a pistol-only character.
Level 1 - 100

Double Gun Shot is best for her.  Brunie is fast and having a two-hit attack cycle is great.
Veteran level

Outrage Shot is awesome for a vet stance.
Expert Level

Yeah, once you get here, Wanted is what you'll use.  Pretty straightforward.
For active playing, keep Fatal Blues and Wanted Action active and use Sting Bringer on single-target enemies until Mortal Wound lands, then spam Escape Shot.  For multiple targets, use slide Shot and Life Sentence on them, the latter especially if Mortal Wound is on the enemies.

Brunie isn't always easy to use because it's not that easy (for me, at least) to pay attention if Mortal Wound is on the enemy or not.  You're pretty much better off just spacebarring it until it lands, which Fatal Blues makes far more likely, which is why you want to keep it active at all times.

Overall, Brunie is still a good character to have if you're against soft-armor enemies.  There are other quests that involve her, but none terribly important that come to mind.

CLAUDE BAUDEZ

Melee

Claude is a big guy, and he wields big weapons.  He's pretty easy to get and there's really no reason not to have him.
Level 1 - 100

Twin Blades, Plow Guard, and Blandir Cruz are usually what you're going to use.  Tail Guard has the advantage of a two-hit attack cycle and multiple targets over Plow Guard, but the difference isn't huge.  Penetrar Cruz only hits one target instead of multiple like Blandir Cruz, but does more damage to that one target, so you get a trade-off there too.
Veteran level

You can use Stave Guard if you want, but most likely you're going to be using Mighty Cruz.
Expert level and beyond

Tronada Cruz is Claude's only Expert stance, so that's what you'll use from now on.  There is absolutely no reason to use any other stance once you get this, either in active playing or in AFK.

With Claude, keep Melt Weapon and Destruido active at all times.  Melt Weapon puts a debuff on the enemies' weapons so that they won't do as much damage to you and your friends.  Destruido increases the attack of your spacebar and skill damage, but once you use a skill, it wears off, so you have to reapply it every time it comes off of cooldown.  It doesn't wear off if you're just spacebarring it, so you might as well leave it on when you're AFK.  Tronada is the single-target skill while the others are for multiple targets.  Long story short, keep up the buffs and skill spam like crazy.

All stat points should go into STR.

Claude is a good character to have.  I think he's used in some other quests too.  He's a good polearm user that reduces the damage your party takes.  True, he's not quite as awesome as Battlesmith Idge, but that's another matter altogether.  He's worth having and worth using when the need arises.

DIEGO
_____

Melee/Builder

Now, Jack does the most damage of the builders, but don't discount Diego when it comes to damage output.  He'll do just fine.
Level 1 - 100

Hack and slash for AFK (if you need to), Defensive Construction for active.
Veteran Level

Nothing.  Same as above.
Expert Level and beyond

Guardian Structure.  Like Angie, you're probably not going to ever use anything but the Expert stance once you get it, though if you really need to for whatever reason, continue to use Hack and Slash for AFK.
Diego is pretty simple.  First you throw down Repair Tool, then the Enhanced Rotating Blades, then well, everything else.  Throw everything down as quick as you can and also use Defend Mode every time it comes off cooldown.  Very simple.

All stat points should go into DEX.

Diego is pretty cool.  Not as high of DPS as Jack, but still effective.  His constructions are mostly the attack-stuff-as-it-comes-near variety, rather than the ranged turret types, but for high numbers of swarming enemies, this can be pretty good.  I think he's worth getting and worth giving a try.

IDGE IMBRULIA

Melee

Similar to Claude in a lot of ways.  She hits faster, though not as hard, and can't take as much damage.  Still better than a Fighter, though.
Level 1 - 100

Any stance, depending on your circumstances.  I've mentioned all of them before.
Veteran level

Sidewinder or Mighty Cruz, depending on what weapons you have.
Expert Level and beyond.

Hanging Guard or Tronada Cruz, depending on your gear.  Tronada Cruz is often preferred.
Idge is pretty good.  She's not stellar, but she's better than the Fighter, except she has a little less HP.  Her personal skill is pretty awesome, which is the real reason you'd want to use her.

Typical strategy for her is pretty much identical to Claude, except Idge also has Hanging Guard, all skills of which are for multiple targets.  Use Shell Breaker only when you are going up against heavy armor and skill spam like crazy.  Pretty straightforward.

Idge is a good character to have because she can mess up the armor of your enemies so your whole party will do more damage.  Worth having and worth using... unless you happen to have Battlesmith Idge, who is better in every way.

JACK MCKENZIE

Melee/Builder

Lots of damage from this guy.  Lots and lots.
Level 1 - 100

Construction, once you get it.  Penetrar Cruz until then.  He sucks for AFK, but if you need to, use Penetrar Cruz.
Veteran level

Nothing.  Same as above.
Expert Level and beyond

Use Destroyer and never look back.
Jack can do MASSIVE damage to your enemies. Build the Repair Tool, then all the other constructions as fast as you can, then use Destroyer Mode to really crank up the hurt (just keep in mind that Destroyer Mode does decrease the defense of your constructions).  These are all ranged constructions, so hopefully they'll take down your enemies before they get close enough to start beating on you.

Jack is awesome.  No doubt about it.  Well worth getting and using, though only in circumstances where you don't have to run around.  Mobility is, admittedly, the downside of the builders, but in exchange you get lots of damage output.

NAJIB SHARIF

Melee/Shooter

And here we see our first confusing character.  He has melee stances, yet he has shooting stances too.  What to favor?  Well, all shall be revealed.
Level 1 - 100

I recommend either Twin Blades or Targan Shot, and maybe Straight Shot if he doesn't need to move.  Use whatever gives you what you need at the time.
Veteran Level

Low Guard or Close Encounters.  Whichever gives you what you need at the time.
Expert Level and beyond.

We have Bloody Feast, Flintlock, and Sniper here. Which to choose?  Well, I recommend Bloody Feast for AFK, Flintlock for active, or if you really want to bring on the hurt, Sniper (though it's not as straightforward to use).

Sniper has no autoattack, so it's skills only on this one.  Keep Target Focus active and either Short Breathing, or Long Breathing, depending on what you need at the time.  Use Sand Flare and Sand Storm when enemies get too close.  Bullet Spear and Snipe are your only ranged skills, but believe me when I tell you that they are enough.  Bullet Spear is for multiple targets and Snipe is for single targets.

I haven't played around with Sniper yet, so my advice is pretty limited.  I understand he's a great character when Sniper is taken into account (because there are much better Bloody Feast users and much better Flintlock users).  Get him and try it for yourself.

PANFILO DE NARVAEZ

Melee

Panfilo's personal skill, Battle Cook, never wears off, so there's absolutely no excuse to not be using it all the time, even when AFK.
level 1 - 100

Hack and Slash for AFK and Flame Guard for active.
Veteran Level

Low Guard.
Expert Level and beyond.

Bloody Feast for AFK and Diable for active.

Panfilo is a pretty awesome DPSer and pretty simple to use.  Make sure Battle Cook is active and keep Appetizer up at all times.  Roasting is single-target and the rest are multi-target.  Roasting and Friandise deal fire-based magical damage and Julienne and Hacher deal physical damage.  Skill spam to your heart's content (or until the enemies are well-done).

Panfilo is awesome and should remain part of your roster.  Panfilo the Battle Cook is better in some ways, but not in others, so he's not a straight-up upgrade to the normal Panfilo.  He's pretty easy to get, even if his expert stance isn't.

RAMIRO
______

Melee

Ramiro, despite what others may say, isn't entirely useless, but he does have a disadvantage because he uses greatsword stances with one-handed swords and sabre stances with main-gauches (or whatever the plural of main-gauche is).  This means that he is using a stance that was intended for much stronger weapons.  Since he uses one-handed swords, he should be compared to other one-handed sword users and not other Hanging Guard users.  So his peers should be considered to be Selva, Daria, and the like.  However, Selva and Daria have Expert stances that have two-hit attack cycles, while Hanging Guard only has one.  His damage output isn't going to be as good, despite having really good stats.  Anyway, let's get down to business.
Level 1 - 100

This matters very little, though I'd probably recommend Roof Guard.
Veteran Level

Either Sidewinder or Low Guard, depending on what gear you have.
Expert Level and beyond

Either Hanging Guard or Bloody Feast.  It's honestly hard to say.  Perhaps Bloody Feast for AFK and Hanging Guard for active, but I'm not certain on that.  I guess I need to do some testing to find out.
Ramiro either compares to the likes of Selva or Daria when in Hanging Guard or the likes of Lisa Lynway or Catherine Torche when in Bloody Feast.  Basically, you use Ramiro with hit-and-run tactics because his personal skill is Sprint, which makes him move a lot faster.  He can also be seen as a challenge character because he's more difficult to be effective with than others.  In any case, he's not lacking in stats, especially when you take into account the special costume he can get once he reaches Vet which gives you an additional ten STR.  This combined with his high AGI make him pretty good, or would, if he weren't using nerfed stances.

All stat points should be put in STR.

In any case, there isn't a reason not to get him.  I mean, he's so easy to get.  It takes so very little effort to add him to your roster.

REBOLDOEUX SOLDIER

Melee/Tank

Despite what people say, the Reb Soldier is not useless.  They can actually have the highest survivability of any character in the game.  They just... have a harder time tanking because they don't have Provoke.
Level 1 - 100

Use High Guard if you're tanking, Blandir Cruz if you're not.
Veteran level

Use The Defender if you're tanking, Mighty Cruz if you're not.
Expert level and beyond

Use Crusader if you're tanking, Tronada Cruz if you're not, and Equites if you want something in between.

The Reb Soldier's personal skill is called Tenacity and it increases your survivability quite a bit AND provokes your enemies to attack you. However, this has a much longer cooldown than Provoke does, so it's harder to maintain aggro, even if it's easier to survive.  Stat-wise, they're slightly worse off than the stock Fighter, but the added survivability makes up for it.

Basically the strategy is the same as the fighter, except you hit Tenacity every time it comes off of cooldown and spam Defiant Aura even more.  Note that Tenacity decreases your movement speed.

Stat points should be allocated to STR, or HP, or split between the two, depending on what you want your Reb Soldier to be, though you can always have one male and one female and make each different (mostly for the sake of Family Level).

You get a free Soldier when you start playing the game.  I'd say go ahead and keep and use him/her.  Why not?  Best survivability, yet a challenge all in one go.  It's interesting to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:43:48 am by Vaduz »

Vaduz

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:03 pm »
COIMBRA RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

ADELINA ESPERANZA

Melee

I wish to breifly explain Adelina's personal skill, Rage.  Rage gives a buff to attack but wears off after 45 seconds.  After it wears off, it turns into Blood Revenge for 45 seconds.  The damage done in Blood Revenge status depends on how much damage was received while in Rage status.  So the bigger beating you get, the more damage you do.  So when you're playing Adelina, rebuff Rage as soon as Blood Revenge wears off.
Level 1 - 100

Heaven or Hell has a three-hit attack cycle vs the two-hit attack cycle that Twin Blades has.  You're probably going to get more damage ouput in Heaven or Hell than with any other pre-vet stance.
Veteran level

Low Guard.
Expert Level and beyond

Again, once you get Bloody Feast, you'll never use anything else for any reason.
Adelina and her Pirate version are hands down the best Bloody Feast users, though when you take the personal skills into account, it's difficult to say which is better of the two.

To use her, apply the Destination buff and then skill spam Crimson Crescent and Vortex Slicer.  These two skill increase the buff given by Destination as well as refreshing it's duration.  Throw in Phatastorm and Bloody Horizon and you've got some pretty impressive DPS on your hands.  However, this only really works well if you've got at least one Bloody Feast ring.  It's ideal if you have two.

All stat points should be put into STR.

All in all, Adelina is a good character to have.  She's good AFK as well as active playing.  She's also needed for some quests.  Make sure you add her to your roster.

ALEJANDRO

Melee

Like Claude, Alejandro only has Tronada Cruz for an Expert Stance.  Alejandro is almost, but not quite as survivable, but will do more damage than Claude.
Level 1 - 100

See previous mentions of other polearm/greatsword users.
Veteran Level

Stave Guard perhaps, but you're probably going to like Mighty Cruz better.
Expert Level and beyond.

Tronada Cruz.  Again, never use anything else once you get this.
Again, Alejandro is a lot like Claude (though he has Cast Net instead of Melt Weapon), so check out Claude's description.  While you're using him, use Cast Net whenever it comes off of cooldown.  It reduces the enemies' DR by one, so it's worth using if you using Alejandro.

All stat points in STR.

The jury's still out, but Alejandro may be the highest DPSing Tronada Cruz user in the game (though Battlesmith Idge may have him beat when Melt Armor lands).  Worth having and worth using for that reason alone.

CALYCE
______

Shooting/Melee

Calyce has dagger stances and crossbow stances, but ignore the former because she's a whole lot better with the latter.
Level 1 - 100

Arbalester.  Ignore the dagger stances unless you want to max them for the sake of completion (like I do).
Veteran level

Sagitta.
Expert Level and beyond

Shadow Sting, though Sagitta is still recommended for AFK.
Calyce has MASSIVE amounts of penetration, though apparently she just doesn't do the damage she used to despite that.  Hopefully this will be rectified in the future.

To use her, keep Eye of Cat and Eagle Eye up at all times for insane amounts of penetration, then skill spam.  Heart Breaker and Shadow Dawn are single-target skills while Bolt Sequence and Back Step Inferno are multi-target skills.  Keep in mind that Shadow Dawn will do more damage if you first buff Silent Move from the Sagitta stance.

Calyce is still worth getting, in my opinion (expect me to say that for every character), because she's not as useless as she's made out to be.  Yes, other characters have surpassed her in damage output, but that doesn't mean you can't use her until you get those other characters.

COIMBRA TROOPER

Melee/Tank

Unlike the other two tanks previously mentioned, the Coimbra Trooper flat out sucks at anything BUT tanking.  He's got the highest HP of the three, but the lowest damage output.  He's by no means a bad tank, though.  He still has Provoke and his survivability is as good or better than the Fighter's.
Level 1 - 100

High Guard for tanking, Blandir Cruz for DPS, Hack and Slash for the in-between.
Veteran level

The Defender for Tanking, Mighty Cruz for DPS.
Expert level and beyond

Crusader for tanking, Tronada Cruz for DPS, Equites for in-between.
What you put the Trooper in depends on how much survivability you need, though in my opinion, if you don't need survivability, don't use the Trooper.  He's best left in Crusader.  Pretty much everything else is superfluous.

All stat points should be put into HP.

The Trooper is easy to get and makes and excellent tank.  You certainly won't be worse off for having him in your roster.

EMILIA GUILIANO

Healer/Buffer/Debuffer

Emilia is ESSENTIAL to get and keep.  Trust me on that one.
Level 1 - 100

She has First Aid, ESP, and Fortitudo, all of which I've mentioned before.  She'll auto-heal in First Aid and Fortitudo, and attack in ESP, though she does very little damage.  Use First Aid for healing and rezzing and Fortitudo and ESP for buffing.  If you need to AFK, use a Rosario for auto-heal, if you need it.  Otherwise, use ESP for the little damage that it has.
Veteran level

Incantation and Tactical Assistance are added to her repertoire.  Both useful for buffing and both I've talked about before.
Expert level and beyond

Enhanced Tactics and Darkness, both of which I've mentioned before.  Darkness may be mostly superfluous for a Wizard these days because of the Eraser skill in Telekinesis, but not for Emilia as she only gets Darkness.

To use her, buff in ET, then switch to Darkness when you need to use Whole Cancellation (WC).  This does involve the swapping of gear.

Stat points can be spent in INT or HP, depending on whether you want stronger damage and healing (not that she does much of either), or into HP for more survivability.  If you happen to have Emilia the Sage (which is a better version of Emilia), you can put all INT into the Sage version and all HP into the normal version.

As I said, it is vital you keep Emilia because there are some very, VERY important quests that require her.  You won't have easy access to expert stances if you don't.  Also, it may sound like she's useless based on my description, but she's not.  She's very useful in raids like Clock Tower because she's the only one (along with the Sage version) that has both ET and WC.

GRACE BERNELLI

Shooter/Buffer

Grace's personal skill, Marksmanship, is a buff that only applies to shooting characters like Grace herself, the Musketeer, Brunie, Calyce, etc.  Keep it up at all times, but keep in mind that it won't affect magic or melee.
Level 1 - 100

Here we have our first shotgun user.  Shotguns are great for AFK and multiple targets and you should only use shotguns under those circumstances.  That said, you can still use Standing Shot and Kneeling Shot when you're actively playing and need damage against a single enemy, otherwise, Shotgun Blaster all the way.
Veteran Level

Use Close Encounters when you need single-target damage.  Use Gigantic Blaster for everything else.
Expert level and beyond.

Flintlock for single-target, Superior Blaster for everything else.  You might want to keep using Gigantic blaster for AFK, though, since it doesn't use up ammo.

Grace is the best Flintlock user in the game as far as damage output goes.  Superior Blaster has a buff called Hound that you will want to keep up at all times.  This buffs all allies within a certain area, so it's great for raiding.

Superior Blaster has one single-target skill, but keep in mind that she has to actually approach the enemy to use it, which is sometimes detrimental to her health.  If you need single-target damage, you're much better off switching to Flintlock. 

All stat points should be spent on DEX.

Grace Bernelli is a great character and you're a fool if you don't get her and keep her.

GRACIELO
_________

Melee

Our first martial artist is arguably our best. His personal skill gives his enemies a debuff that drops their defense into the floor, allowing your whole team to do massive damage.
Level 1 - 100

Interestingly enough, Gracielo gets his own version of Bareknuckle, which will actually do damage and isn't entirely useless.  Unfortunately, it's still mostly useless.  Use Book of Wind instead.
Veteran Level

None.  Same as above.
Expert Level and beyond

Martial Arts Compendium used to be called Hapkido, which is the name I prefer, so I'm going to continue to call it Hapkido.  Like so many other stances, once you get Hapkido, you'll never use anything else.

To use Gracielo, keep up Violent Wind Attack and use Enhanced Lion Heart the moment it comes off cooldown.  Skill spam until your enemies are wishing they'd met with Chuck Norris instead.  With Gracielo's personal skill, he's more effective against enemies that have a low lightening resistance.

All stat points should be put into STR.

Gracielo is kind of a mixed bag because his personal skill has such a great debuff if it lands and if it doesn't he's actually a fairly lame martial artist.  On top of that, the martial artists have been forgotten and need updates in order to match the DPS of other characters.  Still, he's worth keeping around for that debuff and in case they ever do get updated.

IRAWAN
_______

Melee

Irawan is also a martial artist, but has better stats for damage output than Gracielo.  Too bad his personal skill doesn't have the same debuff.
Level 1 - 100

Irawan also gets this different version of Bareknuckle, but again, it's mostly useless.  Use Book of Fire.
Veteran Level

None.  Same as above.
Expert Level and beyond

Still Hapkido.

Gameplay with Irawan is exactly the same as Gracielo.  Fully buffed, Irawan is better in every way... unless Gracielo's debuff lands, in which case he's better.  Irawan is better against enemies with a low fire resistance because of his personal skill.

Irawan's character buff is Strenth lvl 2, which increases your party's STR by 4, which is pretty cool.  Again, martial artists need an update in order to be worth using, but he's still worth getting, in my opinion.

JOSE CORTASAR

Melee/Shooting

Jose has a big ol' cannon that he carries on his shoulder.  There are objects in the game that you must destroy, but no matter how strong you are, you will only do one point of damage per hit.  This is where the cannon comes in because it's the only thing that will do more damage than that.
Level 1 - 100

Blandir Cruz for AFK, Siege Burst for active (though keep in mind that it has no auto-attack).
Veteran Level

Mighty Cruz for AFK, Gigantic Marksmanship for active.
Expert level and beyond.

Still Mighty Cruz for AFK (though, let's be honest, Jose isn't very good for AFK), but Demolition Burst for active.

Jose is only one of two charactes that can use a cannon.  Therefore, he's kind of important.  Demolition Burst does okay AOE damage, but he's there for the Castle Crusher skill.  He's slow, and his personal skill, Siege Mode, makes him even slower, but when those colonies need destroying, there's few other options.  Throw down Siege Mode and spam Castle Crusher.  The rest of the time you should be doing what damage you can with your other skills.

Jose is kinda necessary for certain things.  You could always refrain from doing those things and leaving them to someone else who has either Jose or Claire, but where's the fun in that?

LISA LYNWAY

Melee/Debuff

Lisa's personal skill, Grinding, will either inflict Physical Break or Magical Break on the enemies.  Which one you want to be using depends on your party.  If they're magical DPS, use the latter, otherwise use the former.  If you take Lisa into the Clock Tower raid, you're pretty much going to be using Magical Break because most of the other players are going to be magical DPS.
Level 1 - 100

Corte Duplicado, unless for some reason you need the evasion that Escrima has.
Veteran level

Raid Assault.
Expert Level and beyond

Lisa gets Arnis, but changes are you won't use it, unless you have only one dagger.  Blitz Assault is better in every way.  With Lisa, always favor two daggers over one.

Keep Grinding up at all times and use Wave Illusion whenever it comes off cooldown.  Use Sonic Cross and Miserable Fantasma to put Paralysis on the enemy, then nail them with Back Stab and Fatal Move.  Blitz Assualt also has a unique mechanic called Counterattack.  This buff activates whenever you evade a skill attack and if you evade again while the buff is still active, it refreshes it.  This allows Back Stab and Fatal Move to do more damage, though Fatal Move will cause the buff to disappear.

Lisa is pretty great for debuffing.  In fact, she's almost exclusively used for just that.  She's worth having around.

M'BOMA
______

Magic/Debuff

M'boma is another character that needs an update.  He's still useful, but not so much that you can't use someone else.
Level 1 - 100

Illusionist for debuffs, Levitation for debuffs and buffs, Posession/Evocation Fire for DPS and don't forget that Evocation Fire has a buff.
Veteran Level

Anathema for debuffing, Domination Fire for DPS.
Expert level and beyond

Darkness for debuffing.  Fire stance for AFK, or perhaps some very limited DPSing.

M'Boma is not a DPSer.  He just isn't.  His only Expert Stance is Darkness and his only claim to fame is that he's the most survivable Darkness user in the game.  I imagine he'd be good for PvP because of that, but I don't do PvP.  That said, he's still needed for certain quests.  His personal skill grants him extra survivablility.

All stat should... go into INT... probably...

M'Boma isn't exactly stellar, but he's needed to recruit characters that are.  You need him to recruit his older sister, for example, and she's awesome and hot.

RECKLESS EMILIA

Magic

Okay, I'm going to talk about Reckeless Emilia like she's still viable, but she really isn't anymore.  She got surpassed by other rod/staff users like Eva Sharon, the stock Wizard, etc.  Her personal skill makes her temporarily invulnerable and increases her movement speed, but it prevents the use of any skills.
Level 1 - 100

She has all of the same stances as the stock Wizard, so what was said about him/her also applies to Reckless Emilia.
Veteran level

Again, same as stock Wizard.
Expert level and beyond

Her only expert stance is Madness, which is pretty much what you'd use from this point on.

Madness has a Mass Invisible skill that makes up to nine allies invisible.  Woo.  Her other skills are AOE attacks, and while I guess they're okay, this stance just really needs some updating.

Even though she's been forgotten, there's still no harm in getting her to help boost your family level.  Besides, they might one day buff her to match the other rod/staff users, right?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:15:40 pm by Vaduz »

Vaduz

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:14 pm »
SOHO
_____

Melee/Buffing

Ah, Soho.  You used to be useful.  Now your value exists in equal amounts to your shirt.  The fact is that Soho's usefulness was usurped by so many other ET users that can also DPS like Valeria Vendetta, Vincent, Veroniff, Cano, etc.  To be fair, though, you get Soho long before you get any of those characters.
Level 1 - 100

Fortitudo for buffing, Escrima for DPS.
Veteran Level

Fortitudo and Tactical Assistance for buffing, still Escrima for DPS.
Expert level and beyond.

Enhanced Tactics for buffing, Arnis for DPS.

For Soho, keep his personal skill, his ET buffs, and Intoxicacion up at all times.  Skill spam in Arnis.  Only Asalto will hit multiple targets.  Arnis is more of a single-target stance.

All stats should go into STR.

Well, you might as well get him.  I mean, if you're going to get Reckless Emilia and Ramiro, you might as well get Soho as well.  He'll do a LOT more damage than your stock Scout will in Arnis, but he still won't do as much damage as other later ET users, especially if you manage to get your hands on Valeria Vendetta.  I suppose you could use him in the meantime.

TORA
____

Melee

Tora gets all of his stances right at the get-go, including his "Expert stance", Dark Avenger.  I'm going to skip the usual breakdown and just tell you to use Dark Avenger.  Don't bother with the other stances.

Tora's personal skill is Rage, which is exactly the same as Adelina's.  Check out that description for info on this buff.  His stance has a buff called Shadow Walk that seems to be almost identical to Destruido from Tronada Cruz, except this includes some invincibility for a short while.

I couldn't really say how his DPS compares to other characters, but I don't see why you wouldn't get him.

AUCH RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

AUCH INFANTRY

Shooter

The Auch Infantry is a rifle-only character.
Level 1 - 100

Standing Shot if you need mobility, Kneeling Shot if you don't.
Veteran level

None.  Still using Standing or Kneeling Shot.
Expert Level and beyond

Flintlock.

It used to be that the tradeoff was the Musk had slightly higher DPS, but the Auch Infantry had better survivability because they could equip leather armor rather than just coats.  But with the introduction of Natalie and her being better than both at either, the Auch Infantry has lost favor.  I guess the tradeoff here is that you get the Auch Infantry a lot sooner than Natalie, but when you actually get Natalie and all her DPS and survivability goodness, there's really no reason to keep the Auch Infantry on active duty anymore.

Another bench-warmer to boost your family level, unfortunately.

BAI HU
______

Melee

Another martial artist.
Level 1 - 100

Book of Mind.
Veteran level

None
Expert Level and beyond

Hapkido.

Bai Hu was more meant for PvP, but I don't know that anyone uses martial artists in PvP anymore.

He's got a nice personal skill (though not quite as nice as Gracielo), and you use him exactly the same way you would use Irawan and Gracielo.  In fact, all martial artists are used exactly the same way, except Sorang, but I'll get to her later.  Bai Hu's personal skill makes him more effective against enemies with a low mental resistance.

All stat points should go to STR.

He's got good stats, and possibly put on par with Irawan DPS-wise, but again, martial artists need updating.

CLAIRE
______

Melee/Shooter

Claire has both greatsword and cannon stances.
Level 1 - 100

Novice Guard is actually a really good greatsword stance, for a pre-expert stance, that is.  Use that or Novice Marksmanship.  Whatever floats your boat.
Veteran level

None.
Expert level and beyond

Usually Tested Burst is preferred, though you might want to use Tested Guard for AFK.  She makes a better greatsword user than the stock Fighter, but she's not as good as Asoka, Battlesmith Idge, Grandies, etc.  The jury's still out on who the best greasword user really is, but it ain't Claire.

Exactly how Claire, compares to Jose, I don't know, but she's the only other option for taking out colonies in anything that resembles a reasonable amount of time.  She's worlds cuter than Jose could ever hope to be, that's for darn sure.  Her personal skill is Beginner's Luck, and Tested Burst has the same skills as Demolition Burst.  She pretty much works the same way Jose does.  She just looks better doing it.

You could go all STR or all DEX with her, depending on what you wanted to do, but all DEX is usually recommended.

A girl that cute is worth keeping in your roster, in my opinion.

HELLENA
_______

Magic

Hellena is almost a carbon copy of the stock Elemementalist.  She has the same stances (except she has Forgotten Magic instead of The Elemental Lord, the former being way better).  Her personal skill is different, though, and instead of adding penetration, it allows her to fire off spells faster.  Stat-wise she's a little better than the stock Elementalist, but the tradeoffs are pretty small.

Still she's pretty useful.  As useful as the stock Elementalist, anyway.  Use her in exactly the same way.  Just don't forget to buff Memorize every time it comes off cooldown.

All stat points should be put into INT.

She's not essential for anything I'm aware of, but she can offer a changeup for the stock Elementalist on raids.

JEAN-PIERRE GASCON

Melee

And another martial artist.
Level 1 - 100

Book of Earth
Veteran Level

None
Expert level and above

Hapkido.

Yet another martial artist and played exactly the same way.  His damage output is better than most and his survivability is matched by no other MA.  He's needed for some quests too.

All in all, Jean-Pierre is the only must-have MA, and mostly because of the quests he's needed for.  He's still one of the better MAs, though, so it's hardly a raw deal.

LORCH FURHOLDEN

Shooter

Our first shotgun-only character.
Level 1 - 100

Hunting Blaster.
Veteran level

Gigantic Blaster.
Expert level and beyond

Duel Blaster, though Gigantic Blaster will do for AFK.

Another shotgun user, though he doesn't have the option to equip anything BUT shotguns.  His Infiltration personal skill isn't as good as Hound, but it's still useful.  Besides, I'm pretty sure they stack, so there's no harm in having both in a raid.

What you do with this guy is keep Infilration active, and what the heck, Camouflage too.  It reduces your movement speed, but it also reduces the magic damage you take.  Next, you guessed it, skill spamming.  Duel Blaster has a couple traps that are pretty good if your AR is high enough.

All stats into DEX.

Lorch is worth having.  He may not be quite as awesome as Grace, but he survives better with leather armor.  He's also good for AFK and dealing with mobs.

MI KARJALANINEN

Melee/Buffer

One of the more useful rapier users.
Level 1 - 100

Epee Glacier for DPS and Sabre Glacier for survivability.
Veteran level

None
Expert level and beyond.

Rapeire for AFK, Fleuret Glacier for active playing.

Because of her relatively high INT stat (For a melee character, anyway), and the ability to use leather armor,

Karjalaninen is actually pretty survivable (high INT stats give you more magic resistances).  She also has a party buff called Boost Magic as her personal skill.  This only benefits herself if she's in Fleuret Glacier, though.  People like to use her in Clock Tower raids because of her Boost Magic buff.

Anyway, to use her, keep Boost Magic and Glacier En Garde active at all times and SKILL SPAM.  I'm sure you're seeing a pattern here.

Karjalainen is worthwhile as yet another viable character for raids like Clock Tower.  Add her to the roster as well.

TIBURON
_______

Tiburon is almost a carbon-copy of Ramiro.  He gets Tail Guard instead of Roof Guard, but that's the only difference, and it's an unimportant one at that.  Just read Ramiro's description.

VICNTE RIO
_________

Magic/Buff

Good buffs here.
Level 1 - 100

Any.  Lightenting stances will do more damage and Minstrel will buff, but it really doesn't matter at this level.
Veteran Level

Buff with Serenade and DPS with Domination Lightening.
Expert level and beyond

At this point, you pretty must just stay in Prelude for buffing purposes.

Make sure Encore is active every time you use a skill and buff Cantabile, Maestoso, and Con Impeto, then aid a little in DPS with Appassionato.  Simple.

Points in HP for survivability or INT for more damage.

Vicente Rio is a very good buffer that is useful in most circumstances.  Well worth adding to your roster.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:59:24 am by Vaduz »

Vaduz

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »
DR TORSCHE'S MANSION RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

CATHERINE
_________

Summoner/Buffer

It should be noted that you cannot AFK with Catherine.
Level 1 - 100

Marionette.  It's the only stance she has until Expert.
Veteran level

None
Expert Level

Buff with Enhanced Tactics, summon with Puppet Master.

It's difficult to say which ET buff is best for Catherine herself, but I might suggest Magic Enhancement, mostly for the faster casting speed.  Buff that one first, then lay down your other ET buffs, then switch to Puppet Master and summon all of your summons, and then buff Cheer Up.  For a big burst of damage, hit Nitghtmare and then start re-summoning.  Aye Ma'am, her personal skill, just changes whether the summons stay close to Catherine or spread out.

All stat points into SEN

Catherine is pretty good.  Between her ability to buff and the damage her summons do, she's well worth getting and keeping.  Now, as far as how she compares to the other Catherines, it's hard to say who is the best.

CATHERINE STR

Melee

Catherine of STR is to be considered a Polearm user at Expert level and above.
Level 1 - 100

Blandir Cruz is probably your best bet for most things.  Other notable stances include High Guard and Twin Blades.
Veteran Level

None.
Expert Level and beyond

She gets Crusader, which she is actually capable of tanking with, but she's going to be difficult to use because she doesn't have provoke.  Chances are you're just going to use Brandish Arm.

Tanking with Catherine of STR is complicated, so we'll ignore that for now.  Brandish Arm has a two-hit attack cycle, but only hits one target.  All of her skills are multi-target, though.  I've run the numbers and I figure as long as you keep her personal skill up, she'll do more damage than any Tronada Cruz user (though TC is still better for AFK).  How she compares to Nena or Battlefield Claude, I don't know.

Keep Doll Dream up at all times, summon Mighty Victor, and skill spam.

All stat points into STR.

I like my Catherine of STR and I'm glad I have her.  You can only get one Catherine from the quest, but I bought the others from other players, so I have all of them to play with.  Yay!

CATHERINE INT

Magic

Best used for magical DPS.

Catherine of INT has the same personal skill as Catherine of STR and Catherine of DEX, though it affects the stats differently.  In any case, it should always be active.
Level 1 - 100

She gets a lot of the same stances as the Wizard and Elementalist, though she also gets Back Guard and High Guard.  Weird.  You probably won't use those, though.  The Elemental Lord is her best pre-vet stance.
Veteran Level

None.
Expert Level and beyond

She also gets Crusader, but the only time it would ever be useful is during the recruitment quest for Catherine Torche.  You're going to be using Activator.

Same deal as with Catherine of STR.  Buff Doll Dream, summon Lady Sasha, skill spam.

All stat points into INT.

She'll do more damage than the stock Elementalist or Hellena, and she sees far more raiding time than any of the other Catherines.  She's worth it, in my opinion.

CATHERINE DEX

Shooter

Same as the above two, except with guns.
Level 1 - 100

Rifles, pistols, AND shotguns.  What fun!  Shotgun blaster, standing shot, and Double-Gun Shot are the most noteworthy stances here.
Veteran Level

The only Catherine doll that has any Vet stances.  She has Close Encounters, Outrage Shot, and Gigantic Blaster.  Use Gigantic Blaster for AFK, Outrage for active in most circumstances, and Close Encounters if you need single-target DPS.
Expert Level and Beyond

Crusader again, but again, you probably won't use it.  Split Shooter all the way, though you may want to continue to use Gigantic Blaster or Outrage Shot for AFK.

Catherine of DEX might be the best rifle user when actively playing, but I'm not entirely sure about that.  She's good, though.  Tactics are the same.  Buff, summon, skill spam.

All stat points int DEX.

Not much to say about her what hasn't been said about the other Catherine Dolls.

CATHERINE TORSCHE

Melee

The REAL Catherine.  Not a doll this time.  You need to have at least one of the above Catherines in order to recruit her, though.
Level 1 - 100

Corte Duplicado.  Like Lisa, favor two daggers.
Veteran Level

Raid Assault.
Expert Level and beyond

Death Chopping.  Like so many others, you'll never use anything else once you get this.

Catherine's personal skill, High Tide, increases her damage at the expense of defense.  Be careful when using it.  Use High Tide, Present, then skill spam.  Simple.

Catherine's usefulness is called into question because she doesn't have the debuff that Lisa has.  She's still okay, just not great.

MARIE DUPLESSIS

Shooting

Our last shotgun user.  She's a little different from the other two, but we'll get to that.
Level 1 - 100

Shotgun Blaster.
Veteran Level

Gigantic Blaster
Expert Level and beyond

Sweeper.

Marie's personal skill, Cleaning Time, increases her attack at the expense of attack speed.  This is fine if you have pink lollipops, but seeing how they are being phased out, this might be an issue.  You can make up the lost attack speed with the Order of Lady buff, though this seems a little pointless to lose it, only to gain it back elsewhere.  Anyway, keep up both buffs and skill spam.

All stat points go into DEX.

Marie is crazy gorgeous, in my opinion, and almost worth having just for that alone.  She doesn't have the party buffs that the other shotgun users have, so you're not likely to see her in raids.  Like all shotgun users, she's better multi-target than single-target.

USTIR RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

Grandice
_______

Melee

Grandice is possibly in need of an update, but she's still not a bad Greatsword user.
Level 1 - 100

Grandice gets every pre-expert greatsword stance that exists in this game (except Novice Guard, but only Claire has that).  Use what you need at the time.  Generally Roof Guard for single-target and Tail Guard for multi-target.
Veteran Level

Sidewinder.
Expert Level and beyond

Hanging Guard.

Keep the Highlander Soul buff up at all times and Shell Breaker when you're going up against enemies with heavy armor.  Then skill spam.

Grandice (also known as Granma) along with Battlesmith Idge and Queen of Pioneers Grandice, is one of the best Hanging Guard users.  She doesn't get the nice debuff that BSI gets, or Soul Guard like QoP Grandice does, but she's still okay.  Hanging Guard needs an update, in my opinion, if it's still going to be useful when you've got Soul Guard or Royal Guard you could be using instead.

THE RESCUE KNIGHT

Melee/shooter/rezzer

The Rescue Knight is one big ball of compromises.  She's not as survivable as the Fighter or Romina, and she won't do as much damage as... pretty much any other rifle user, but she does have Resuscitate as her personal skill.  Basically her strength is being able to survive long enough to rez when needed.  That's the idea anyway.
Level 1 - 100

Defending Shot.  Her stats are better for that than Defending Guard.
Veteran Level

None.
Expert Level and beyond

Flintlock.

The way to use a Rescue Knight (if you insist on doing so), is to keep her as far away from the action as possible, while still being able to shoot the enemies.  Buff her for survivability, do what damage you can, and rez anyone that needs it.

All stat points should go into DEX... probably.

She's not quite as nice as Romina, which we'll get to in a second.  She doesn't do that much damage.  In fact, she does the least damage (along with Romina) of any rifle user in the game.  That said, she does have a unique artifact that increases her damage output if she's wearing leather armor (boo!), which puts her over Romina in damage.  Romina is more survivable, though, which is kind of the whole point.  Possibly another bench warmer, though the ability to survive and rez is still worth something.

ROMINA
______

Melee/shooter/rezzer

Romina has the same stances as the Rescue Knight with the addition of Equites.  This puts us at a little bit of a conundrum.  Equites is far better at survival than Flintlock, right?  Well, yes... but Flintlock tends to keep you away from damage and AOEs, so which is better?  Honestly, I'm not sure.
Level 1 - 100

Either.  This depends on whether you end up getting more survivability out of Defending Shot or Defending Guard.  Probably Defending Shot.
Veteran Level

None.
Expert level and beyond

Do whatever you want with this one.

Romina is difficult for me to figure out.  If you put stat points into STR, she becomes the second-best Equites user in the game (Daria being the best), but if you put it all in DEX, she can stay away from the action with Flintlock, despite being the worst Flintlock user in the game damage-wise (though she is the most survivable rifle user).  Or you could put the points into AGI to slightly boost damage in both and increase the blocking in Equites, or you could just put it all in HP for even more survivablility...

Screw it.  You're on your own with this one.  Experiment and figure out what works for you.  If that means keeping her as yet another bench warmer to boost your family level, so be it.

BAHAMA RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

NENA
____

Melee

Nena starts off with every stance already learned, except for Mighty Cruz, which is weird.  Just use Vigilar, though it may not be the best for AFK as it has single-target spacebar damage.  We'll see.

She appears to be very powerful with great stats and an awesome personal skill that will either increase your attack or your defense.  For maximum damage output, keep Invertir up with the attack buff, then skill spam.  The last skill is the only one that is single target.  Her skills also have some nice debuffs that go along with them.  It looks like she may be preferred in PvP as opposed to PvE.

All stats in STR.

I don't have her yet, but I want her.  She looks to be pretty powerful... and powerfully pretty.

SIERRA
______

Magic

This is another character with all of her stances right off the bat.

For Sierra, buff with ESP, heal/rez with First Aid, and DPS with Pythonisse (though that does require some gear-swapping).  Keep her personal skill, Nature, up at all times.

Since I don't think weapons make any difference when healing, rezzing, or buffing, it might be easier just to take her broom off and then put it back on, rather than switching to a rod for First Aid and ESP.

I've been wanting her as a playable character since I first saw her in some of the earlier quests.  She's just so pretty.  All of her skills in Pythonisse are attacks and all of them have debuffs associated with them.  I can see her being well worth the trouble to get her.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:50:04 pm by Vaduz »

Vaduz

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:45 pm »
KATOVIC RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

GAVIN
_____

Melee/shooter

Gavin's worth is not as readily apparent as some others, but I think he's actually pretty good.  His personal skill is Shadow Trigger and will either increase his attack or his defense, depending on what you need.
Level 1 - 100

Epee Garde or Double Gun Shot for DPS, Sabre Garde for survivability.
Veteran Level

Avant Garde or Outrage Shot.  The latter might be the better of the two, especially for AFK.
Expert Level and beyond

Gavin has two Expert stances, Wanted, and Rapierre.  While he is one of the best dual-rapier users, you might want to save Rapiere for AFK and use Wanted when you're active.

Now, about Wanted, with his personal skill, Gavin will out DPS Brunie, however Brunie having landed Mortal Wound is better than Gavin without, and Brunie is far more likely to land Mortal Wound than Gavin will.  So it's kind of a toss-up.  Gavin is defiitely more survivable, with the ability to equip leather, higher HP, and a personal skill that can buff defense if he needs it.

As for how he compares to other dual-rapier users, he's good, and he's survivable, but the best just might be Kurt Lyndon.  I think favoring Wanted with Gavin might be more beneficial.

All stats into STR for Rapiere, DEX for Wanted, or possibly AGI if you really want to do both (your damage will suffer a little, but you'll get a little extra natural attack speed and more block and evasion).  I might recommend going all DEX, but it's your call.

Gavin is a little overshadowed by some other powerful DPSers, but he still does okay for most things.  All in all, he's not a bad character to have and use.

NATALIE
_______

Melee/shooter

Natalie has the exact same stances as Romina and has the same personal skill as Gavin.
Level 1 -100

Defending Shot.
Veteran Level

None.
Expert Level and beyond

I'm not sure if you'd ever really use Equites with Natalie.  You should use her in Flintlock.

Strategy for Natalie is the same as the others for Flintlock.  Just make sure her personal skill is active.

All stats into DEX.

Natalie is a great Flintlock user.  She deals and takes more damage than most.  Only Grace Bernelli (and possibly Sniper Bernelli) will do more damage and only Romina is more survivable (and maybe the Rescue Knight, but I'm not sure on that one).  She's one of the best rifle users and worth having.

SELVA NORTE

Melee

Selva is more powerful when Gavin and/or Edward are in the same party.  She's the most powerful with both, though it's hard to say how good such a party really is.  You'd need three good Fighter leather armors as that's all any of them can equip.  Having Gavin increases the damage of the Destino buff and having Edward increases the defense.  It's also in your best interest to always have Selva's glove equipped (upgradable to a better version much later), so get that right away.
Level 1 - 100

High Guard for survivability and Epee Garde for damage.
Veteran Level

Cauchemar
Expert Level and beyond

Rapida Espada.  Nothing else, after you get this one.

For Selva, keep Destino active and skill spam.  Some of her skills have debuffs that are quite nice.

How she compares to Daria in terms of DPS is uncertain, though Selva is the more survivable of the two, especially when Edward is in the party with her.  She was lagging a bit in terms of DPS, but since they buffed her, I think it's time to give her another try.

BAHIA ISLAND RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

FENG LING
_________

Melee

Older sister to Sorang and yet another MA.
Level 1 - 100

Book of Ice.
Veteran Level

None.
Expert Level and beyond

Hapkido

Yet another martial artist.  She really has no advantage over the others exept that she has a faster natural attack speed.  Strategy for her is exactly the same as other MAs.  Because of her personal skill, she's more effective against enemies who have a low ice resistance.

All points into STR.

She's about as worthwhile as the other MAs.  Not much information to add here.

LUDIN
_____

Magic

Ludin is one of the smallest characters, along with Cano and Rachel.  She's very little and very cute AND SHE WILL BURN YOU!

I'm going to skip the usual breakdown because she only has two stances, Posession Fire and Efreet.  Possession Fire is used before you get Efreet, and maybe if you need to put Ludin in AFK.  Otherwise, Efreet all the way.

Ludin does great damage.  Just keep Fire Blessing up and skill spam.   She's very simple to use and rather fun to watch.

All stats into INT.

She's not the most powerful elementalist type, but she does just fine.  I think she's worth it.

LOS TOLDOS RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

EDWARD
_______

Melee

Edward is one of the better dual-rapeir DPSers.  He's the brother of Gavin.
Level 1 - 100

Either Main-gauche Garde of Grim or Heaven or Hell of Grim.
Veteran Level

Avant Garde of Grim.
Expert Level and beyond

Rapiere of Grim is a slightly better version of Rapiere.  It has an extra buff that allows Edward to do more damage, which is cool.

To use Edward, keep Soul of Grim up at all times and buff Ropera and Soul Reaper as soon as they come off cooldown.  More skill spamming.  Better for single-target.

NOTE:  Though Soul Reaper does have some nice benefits like increased movement speed and HP/SP regen, it does decrease Ed's total HP and limits the use of items.  If this is a problem, don't use it.

Edward is pretty good, and it's nice that his presence makes Selva more powerful, but there's one dual-rapier user that's even better...

KURT LYNDON

Melee

Kurt is the best dual-rapier DPSer in the game.  He's almost a carbon-copy of Edward, though his personal skill is Grim Reaper, which is exactly like Soul Reaper (complete with tradeoffs) except instead of increased movement speed, it has increased attack.  Eveything else is exactly the same, except he doesn't benefit Selva like Edward does.

You can't get both Edward and Kurt through normal recruitment because the quest forces you to pick between the two, but you can always buy the one you don't have from another player, if you so choose.  Which one you should get depends on how much you like Selva.

ZEIA RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

ANIA
____

Melee

Ania only has two stances of note: Combatant before Expert, and Gorgeous after.  Gorgeous requires Tonfa, which she alone uses.  Again, once you get Gorgeous, you'll never use another.

Gorgeous has the same Counterattack mechanic that Blitz Assault has and works exactly the same way.  Always keep Beast and Psychic active and skill spam.  Reverie does massive damage if Counterattack is up (though using it does use up the buff).  I've heard it can one-shot Vesps, which is pretty crazy.

How she holds up without Counterattack, I don't know, but I still recommend getting her.  Getting the most out of her stance is going to take some practice, but it'll pay off.

NAR
___

Melee

Nar used to be an amazing DPSer, but he has since been forgotten and passed up by newer characters.  He's not bad, but he's just not what he was.

Nar also has Combatant before Expert, and Semilunar after, which is what you'll use.  Nar's personal skill, Feral Roar, buffs HP and removes certain debuffs from the party, so that's cool.  Semilunar is mostly attacks, but it has a buff that gets more and more awesome the higher level it gets.  At level ten, it just increases his HP and reduces his movement speed a small amount, but at level 11, it also increases his attack and defense, and at level 12, it increses his HP, attack, defense, AR, and DR, and no longer has a movement penalty.  Awesome!

Just keep the buffs up and skill spam.  He's very easy to use.

Though he may not be what he once was, he's by no means bad.  Give the guy a chance.

CASTILLA RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

ADRIANA
_______

Hybrid melee/shooter

Adriana is another with only two stances of note.  Heaven or Hell before Expert, and Cutlass after.  Keep in mind that Cutlass uses large caliper bullets.

Adriana's personal skill, Tactics, is a party buff that also removes some debuffs.  Pretty cool.  Keep that up, as well as the Get Set buff, and skill spam.  Note that some skills do melee damage while others do shooting damage.  The last skill, Into the Heaven, is an AOE skill that can inflict Enervation, which is a great debuff.

All stat points should go into STR, or so I hear.  There's some debate, but I've heard you get the greatest damage output with STR.

Adriana is a pretty good character to have and she is beautiful.  If you can get her glasses she'll be that much hotter.  Yowza.

CRUISE
______

Melee

Cruise's only noteworthy stance is Furious.  You'll have to make do with Hack and Slash until you get it.

His personal skill is Swift Move which will increase the damage of skills once, until it is reapplied.  He also has a fantastic buff called Rage of Wolf.  These combined with powerful skills makes Cruise one heck of a DPSer.  Unfortunately, I need to do more research into this awesome stance in order to really show how great it is.  I've heard that if you play him right, you can do even more damage than JD, so yeah, I'm going to get that information to you as soon as I have it.

Cruise is awesome once you get Furious, if you know how to use it.  Definitely worth getting.

ELISA
_____

Healer/buffer

Elisa's personal skill, Mass Healing, will heal the entire party and not just one character.  She has First Aid, Fortitudo, Tactical Assistance, Enhanced Tactics, and Therapy, most of which I've talked about before.  Therapy is for healing and removing debuffs.  If you practice with it and pay attention to what debuffs you or your squad members have, she can be pretty amazing.  She ranks with Valeria as one of the two best healers in the game.  Which is better?  That depends on what you need.  Elisa tends to be preferred in PvP because she has more debuff removal than Valeria does.  Valeria has one attacking skill whereas Elisa has none at all.  Valeria also has a mass rez, while Elisa doesn't.

All stats into... actually, I'm not sure.  If you happen to have Cadet Elisa as well as normal Elisa, I might suggest going all HP with Cadet, and all INT with normal.  Honestly, I'm not sure which version of Elisa is better either.

In any case, aside from being ridiculously pretty, Elisa is a great support character.  And well worth adding to your roster.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:03:27 am by Vaduz »

Vaduz

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »
ISLE OF VIRON RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BEATRICE
________

Magic

Beatrice is M'boma's older sister.  Aside from being hot, she's a pretty good DPSer, too.

She only gets two stances, Possession Lightening and Tempest, the latter being the important one.

Beatrice is another very simple character to use.  For maximum DPS, buff Enchanted Arm (though keep in mind this has a great detriment on your magical resistances), and skill spam away.

Despite having been shown up DPS-wise by more recent characters, she's still quite viable, and definitely the go-to gal if you ever come across large quantities of enemies with a low lightening resistance.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DARIA
_____

Melee/shooting

Daria is almost a carbon-copy of Natalie, her younger sister.  The differences are that Daria's personal skill is Trigger, which will allow her to do more melee damage, or more shooting damage (depending on what you want at the time), and her stats favor Melee as opposed to shooting.

So far, I've only found one circumstance where you want to give Daria a rifle, and that's during an optional sub-quest involving her and Natalie.  In this sub-quest, there's an instance where you have to clear out some rotating blades, and if you have any melee characters trying to take them down, they'll be dead fast.  So give her a rifle, stick her in Flintlock, and buff her shooting damage, and take out those blades.  Other than that, it's Equites all the way for Daria.

I'm not sure how she stacks up to Selva in terms of DPS since they made Selva more powerful, but in any case Daria is the highest DPSing Equites user.  Equites, by the way, is one of those halfway DPS/tanking kind of stances.  It has lots of block, which can really help survivability.  That said, Romina will survive much better while still doing at least some decent amount of damage.

To use her, make sure Trigger is set to melee, buff Bless, and skill spam.  The first two skills are multi-target and the last two are single-target.

All stat points go to STR.

It's hard to say how viable Equites is anymore, since other characters (even ones with one-handed swords like Cruise) will deal far more damage nowadays.  Even so, she's not worthless, especially if you happen to have a really good one-handed sword.

EVA SHARON

Magic

I don't have Eva yet, so I can't tell you much.  It looks like her personal skill drastically increases her defensive abilities, additionally allowing some incoming damage to reflect back at the attackers.  Aside from Amplify in the Levitation stance, it doesn't look like she has any other buffs.  Her Expert stance, Trickinesis is all attack skills, all of which have debuffs attached to them, some of which are quite good if they manage to land.

Trikinesis has a unique mechanic similar to, yet different from the Counterattack mechanic of Blitz Assault and Gorgeous.  Basically, using either Deception or Dark Sphere triggers Mind Absorption, which increases attack and decreases casting time.  Mind Pressure and Mind Blast will have different effects depending on the current level of this buff.

It looks like the best way to use her is to keep Amplify active from Levitation (though this is the only thing you'll do from this stance), then buff Reflect Skin whenever it comes off cooldown, and skill spam first Deception and Dark Sphere until Mind Absorption reaches level 3 (using them periodically afterwards to refresh the duration), then spam the other skills, particularly Mind Pressure and Mind Blast.

All stat points go into INT.

As I've said, I don't have her yet (I've been slacking in my quests a bit, unfortunately), but I understand she can be pretty good.  I think you have to recruit her in order to get Sierra.

GRANDIES
________

Melee

The jury's still out as to who is actually the best greatsword user in the game, but Grandies is pretty high on the list.
Level 1 - 100

Tail Guard.
Veteran Level

Sidewinder.
Expert Level and beyond

As I understand it, Soul Guard is used in PvE and Soul Bringer is used in PvP.  If I have that wrong, please let me know.

Grandies' personal skill is an AOE attack, so that goes into your normal damage rotation whenever you've got a bunch of enemies swarming you.  Soul Guard has a trigger-like buff called Change Position that will either increase her attack or her defense.  This buff never wears off (unless you change it) so there's no excuse to not have it up at all times.  The Devistator skill is single-target while the others are multi-target.  So make sure that buff is active then go to town tearing apart your enemies.

For Soul Bringer, the King Spirit buff is awesome, but the cooldown is longer than the buff duration.  So use that skill every time it comes off cooldown and skill spam like crazy.  Keep in mind that Soul Crush has a chance to inflict Moral Wound, and Crecendo and Windblow do more damage if Mortal Wound is on the enemy.  Crecendo is single-target while the others are multi-target.

All points into STR.

Grandies is a fantastic Greatsword user.  Again, who is the best is up for debate, but she's one of the top contenders (along with QoP Grandice and JD).  It's well worth getting this red-haired hottie.

ION
___

Magic

Ion is one of the preferred DPSers in raids still.  There are people who will do more damage, but he's still quite viable.

Ion only has two stances, Possession Ice, which has the Chilling Touch buff, and Frost.  To use him, buff Flare (which is the primary reason people love him), then buff Chilling Touch switch to Frost and buff Frost Shield whenever it comes off cooldown.  Then skill spam.  Note that most skills are big AOEs, but Frost Dust is single-target.

All points into INT.

Ion is certainly worth it if you like raiding.  Most of the characters that are better are promo characters, which can be hard to get.

LIONEL
______

Shooter

Lionel is Ludin's older brother, and you have to recruit him before you can recruit Ludin.
Level 1 - 100

Standing shot.
Veteran Level

Outrage shot (also use for AFK well after Vet level)
Expert Level and beyond

Punisher.

Punisher used to be friggin' amazing, though it has since been shown up by other, more powerful stances.  It's still good, though.  He's sometimes included in raids for his Leadership personal skill, which buffs all squad members.  When you use him make sure that buff as well as Mark are always active.  The first two skills are single-target, while the remaining two are multi-target.

Lionel is still worth getting.  He'll do good damage and his party buff, while perhaps not as good as Grace Bernelli's, is still a plus.

RAVEN
_____

Melee/shooter

I remember hearing stories of how great Raven was back in the day.  I kinda wish they were still being told, because my Master-level Raven hasn't been seeing a whole lot of action.
Level 1 - 100

Any, really.  Epee Garde for melee DPS, Sabre Garde for survivability, Freestyle Shot or Aiming shot for shooting DPS (the former has a faster attack but lower accuracy).
Veteran Level

Sight Shot or Avant Garde, though the latter is probably preferred.
Expert Level and beyond

Either Rapiere or Coisement.  I might recommend Coisement simply because no one else has it, and while Raven is a great Rapiere user, Gavin and Kurt are as good or better.  There's no lack of dual-rapier users in this game.

NOTE:  Don't be fooled by Coisement using a rapier as an off-hand weapon.  It's considered a shooting stance, not a hybrid one.

Assuming you're using Coisement, keep Trigger set to shooting and keep Positions active.  Note that Composee Botter and Cul-de-sac are melee attacks and are also single-target, while Attacher Bullet and Arme Piste are multi-target shooting skills.

If you ever need to be AFK, I would recommend putting him in Rapiere, even if you put all your stat points into DEX.

As for stat points, it depends on what you want.  If you want to maximize Rapiere and the single-target hits on Coisement, STR.  If you want to maximize spacebar and multi-target hits in Coisement, DEX.

VERONIF
_______

Magic/Buffer/healer

Veronif hates you, which is a shame because we love her.  Now Veronif isn't as great as she used to be (again, the people who make this game seem to like introducing new, much more powerful characters at the expense of existing ones), but she's still good.

Veroniff gets First Aid, Fortitudo, and Enhanced Tactics, none of which will she either attack or auto-heal.  Her personal skill, Alchemy, is an AOE heal and debuff remover (a de-debuffer, if you will), but she will not automatically use it like a Scout will.  Her unique Expert stance, Hermetisme, is what she used to deal out the hurt.  So what you do is buff up with ET buffs, then switch to Hermetisme and buff Chemical Protection, then skill spam.  Her skills are all large AOEs with debuffs associated with them.

Veroniff is still worthwhile.  She makes a decent healer/buffer, and will do decent damage.

VINCENT
_______

Magic/healer/buffer

Vincent has First Aid, Fortitudo, and Enhanced Tactics just like Veroniff, but he also has Psychokinesis and Anathema.  His unique Expert Stance, Abyss, has a great self-buff called Contract that you should always be using.  It wears off when changing stances, so if you have to go back into ET to rebuff, just remember to recast Contract when you go back into Abyss.

Vincent can heal with the First Aid stance, but his personal skill is called Frenzy and it increases his damage output, so keep that up at all times.

I don't know what his damage is like compared to Veronif, though the two are very similar (they use the same weapon for their unique stances too).  He's useful, though, and worth your time to get him.

CITY OF KIELCE RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS

BARREL BARLOW

Shooter

Barrel is the only person ever to actually benefit from being drunk.  His personal skill is called Drunken, and should always be up.  He's another pistol-only character, and he gets his "Expert" stance, Cobra, right off the bat.  Interestingly, he doesn't seem to start with Outrage Shot, so get that as soon as you promote him to Veteran so you can use it when he's AFK.

He has one single-target skill and the rest are all multi-target.  His skill, Heavy Drinker, applies debuffs on enemies.

All stat points into DEX.

Another character who got outshined by new characters, but he's still viable.  I'm not sure how Barrel in Cobra compares to a stock Musketeer in Unlimited Shot, though I think Barrel does more damage.

CANO KIELCE

Magic/buffer

Kano seems to get all of her stances right from the get-go.  This makes me wonder why they bothered giving her Fortitudo when those buffs don't stack with ET buffs.  Unlike most characters, Cano doesn't use a Rosario for Enhanced Tactics.  She uses an Encyclopedia for both that and her unique "Expert" stance, Story Telling.

Okay, can I talk about this for a second?  What kinds of stories are you going to tell from an encyclopedia?  It's not a storybook.  Cano is supposedly some genius child prodigy, right?  I mean, her personal skill is called Mensa for crying out loud, but her unique stance is Story Telling?  This is a pretty petty nick-pick, I know, but... it's really hard to make sense of.

Anyway, her personal skill is a party buff that increases HP and attack based on the individual's INT stats (or it may be Cano's INT).  She also has a buff in Story Telling called Wall of Quran that reduces the skill damage your party takes.  Her other skills are AOE attacks.

All stat points int INT.

She's cute and worth getting.  Some of her skills do a lot of damage.

HEIRAN
______

Shooter, kinda...

Heiran is hot.  Like, really really hot.  She also gets all of her stances right from the start, which consists of Bareknuckle, Butterfly Dagger, and Femme Fatale, the last of which is the only one you'll ever use, so let's ignore the other two.

Her buffs are Dagger Polish and Fox Hound, both of which should always be active.  She has two single-target skills and two multi-target skills.  The first two skills apply Pierced Wound, while the last two deal more damage if Pierced Wound is on the target.

Now Femme Fatale is really weird.  It does shooting damage, and benefits from Shooting Enchancement from Enhanced Tactics, but she uses dual-daggers and damage is based on STR, not DEX.

Heiran isn't as viable as some other characters, but how can you say no to a woman that gorgeous?

J.D.
___

Melee

J.D. is a favorite for PvE.  He can equip a large number of different weapons, including a rapier, sword, blunt, sabre, greatsword, and crescent, and he has a 4-hit attack cycle.  Awesome.  His personal skill increases his damage output depending on what kind of weapon you have equipped.  If it's a rapier or a sword, it increases attack +30%, critical +15, evasion +40, casting time -10% and applies critical to skill use.  If it's a sabre or blunt, you get attack +20%, and accuracy +20.  If you have a greatsword or crescent, you get attack speed +10%.  So clearly, the weaker the weapon, the more powerful the buff is to compensate.  Most people still favor greastwords or crescents, though.

J.D. starts at level 100, but he doesn't start with Low Guard or Royal Guard, so promote him to vet, get him Low Guard, and use that until you get Royal Guard.  Once you get Royal Guard, never look back.  J.D. in Royal Guard is great for AFK, by the way.

Royal Guard is kinda weird.  You have to call a Zeppelin to buff you, and it does an attack as well.  That's what they call those skills, anyway.  Call Zeppelin increases your attack, but changes to Air Strike Ready after twenty seconds.  Skill spam Blast Stinger and/or Close Quarter Combat (first one is multi-target, second is single target) until Air Strike Ready is active, then spam the other two.  The remaining skills are AOEs and have a chance to refresh Air Strike Ready.  This is your chance to do as much damage as you can.  When Air Strike Ready wears off, recast Call Zeppelin unless it's still on cooldown.  Not as straightforward as some other characters, but very effective.

J.D. is well worth it as being one of the highest DPSing melee characters in the game.  He does have some stiff competition, but still worth the trouble.

KESS KIELCE

Shooter

Kess, or Caisse, or however they want to spell his name (friggin' Koreans can't keep things straight from one version to another*) has pistol and rifle stances, so the same rules apply to him as it does to the Musketeer, though you get him at level 100, so promote him to vet and get him Outrage shot and use that until he gets to Expert.  Use Outrage shot for any AFKing he might be doing.

He has three Expert stances, and you may end up using all three, but chances are you want him for Heavy Stinger (Punisher is preferred if you don't have it).  You may notice that the skills in Heavy Stinger all have very small attack modifiers.  This is becuase the base attack for this stance is INSANE.

His personal skill is a party buff that you should always have up.  Heavy Stinger also has a buff called Over Limit that you should use whenever it comes off cooldown.  The first skill is single-target while the others are multi-target.  Most skills apply and level up a debuff called Overheating, which causes the enemies defense to be ignored based on the level of the debuff.

MASSIVE DPS.  I don't know that it's the highest in the game, but it's still a pretty good contender.  However, if it's not Heavy Stinger, his damage is only okay, as opposed to "HOLY CRAP!"

*I have nothing against Koreans.  This is actually to be expected when you're dealing with translations, though I do feel the developers could really use some friggin' proofreaders.

MARCHETTI
_________

Magic

Marchetti is Veronif's younger brother.  He has two stances, but let's face it, you're never going to use Psychokinesis.  Distortion Cube all the way.

His personal skill is a buff you should keep active at all times.  It cuts down the casting time so he fires off spells more quickly.  That said, he also has one debuff called Crystal Prison.  He also has only one direct attack, which is an AOE.  His other skills are sort of like summons, except they aren't.  Think of them as magical traps.  Their damage is based on the skill level and his INT stat.

Good magical damage to be found here.  If you can get past that aggravating part of his recruitment quest where you have to survive a huge volley of cannon turrets, he's worth it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:10:02 am by Vaduz »

Vaduz

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:22 pm »
OLIVIA
______

Melee

Oliva is a pretty powerful melee DPSer.  She was heavily favored in PvP until they nerfed her (though she might still be preferred).  The fact that she has THREE self-buffs might have something to do with that.

Olivia gets Combat Assault right off the bat, so don't bother with the other stances.  Her personal skill is called Heavy Stalker and it never wears off (unless you re-use the skill).  It has a downside, though.  Not only does it DECREASE your attack speed, it changes the speed cap as well.  It gives you a nice +30% to attack, but still, changing the speed cap from 10 to 20 is kinda lame.  The other two buffs she has don't have any downsides.

Additional information on Olivia will have to wait.  I don't have her yet and the information I'm finding on her isn't very specific.

As far as I can tell, she's well worth the trouble to get her as she's one of the better melee characters.

VEIL
____

Shooting.

Four words:  SIX-HIT ATTACK CYCLE.  That even beats out Cruise with his five.  He gets all of his stances at the start and you might use Sagitta for AFK, but Twin Sting is what you're going to use in any other circumstance.

He has two self-buffs: Edge, which increases damage when enemies are far away, and Eye of Wolf, which grants one AR at the expense of one DR.  The rest of the skills are attacks, the last of which is single-target while the others are multi-target.

Veil does a lot of damage and he's pretty easy to use.  Very much worth it.

RECRUITABLE CHARACTERS FROM OTHER AREAS

VALERIA
_______

Healer/buffer

Valeria is arguably the best healer in the game (Elisa gives her pretty good competition).

Valeria has three stances, First Aid, Enhanced Tactics, and Innocentio.  I've already talked about FA and ET, so let's talk about her personal skill and Innocentio.

Her personal skill is called Cure.  It's exactly the same as the Scout's personal skill Healing, except it heals for twice as much and can be used from far away.  Awesome.  Her unique Expert stance is Innocentio, which is used for healing, removing debuffs, and mass rezzing.  Her last skill, Resurrection, at level 11 brings back 12 squad members with full health and full SP.  Sweet!  It's a great alternative to using Soul Crystals when in raids.  She has one attacking skill, which is called Exlusion.  This is the only damage Valeria will ever do.

Basically her downsides are that she has low HP and can only wear robes, but the plus is that she can heal and rez in mass and from a distance.  This aids in her survival.

All stat points can either go into INT for greater healing with her personal skill (and higher resistances), or into HP for greater survivability.  Most people choose the second option.

Now, the usefulness of dedicated healers has been called into question because most people rely on potion-popping to stay alive.  This is fine, but in a raid, the presence of a Valeria can still be quite beneficial.  Besides, she's justsocrazyamazingadorableprettyIJUSTCAN'TSTANDIT!

I mean... she's... really pretty.

VIKI
___

Summoner/healer/buffer

Viki's just a kid, but he's pretty awesome.  He gets all of the healing/buffing skills of a scout, plus the scout's personal skill, but instead of nigh-useless dagger stances, he gets summoning stances that can do MASSIVE damage.

The way to use him is really straightforward.  Give him a Rosario to heal and buff, and a Caliburn to summon.  What you want to summon depends on what you have.  If you're pre-Expert, you're limited to Amicus until you get Castis from a quest.  I usually stuck with summoning Ararat until I got Castis, then I summoned Steel Ararat.

Once you get to Expert, though, you're not going to mess with either of those.  You're gonna use Trance Robo, and you're gonna like it!  Seriously, though, it's pretty sweet.  Most people summon Auto Baron and call it good, but I recommend testing out the other three as well.  The first skill buffs your summoned robot, and in the case with the last three, it'll lead them to transform into more powerful versions.  Unlike Catherine, he can only have one summon at a time.

All stat points should go into SEN.

Viki's benefits are obvious:  nice healing/buffing support while also having great damage from his summons.  He's also an interesting character to use.  He was a pain to get, his stances were a pain to get, but with the addition of Trance Robo, it's made it all worth it.

PROMOTIONAL CHARACTERS

ADELINA THE PIRATE

Melee

A different version of Adelina.  She has better stats, but instead of the Rage buff, she gets an AOE attack as a personal skill.  She has all the same stances as normal Adelina.  Do her better stats make up for the lack of the Rage buff?  I'm not sure.  I'll have to do some testing and get back with you on that one.

All stat points go into STR.

She's a good character to have, if you can get your hands on her.

ASOKA
_____

Melee

One of the better greatsword users, though perhaps not as good as Grandies, QoP Grandies, or J.D.

She has the basic greatsword stances, but instead of Hanging Guard, she has Secret of Moonlight.  Her only buff is her personal skill, which is Swift Move (same as Cruise).  Two of her skills, Piercing Dimension and Moon Decision, inflict a debuff called Crescent Curse, which will cause her other skills to do more damage.

Though overshadowed by more recent greatsword users, she's still pretty good.  She's more potent than any Hanging Guard user, at any rate (though she doesn't have Idge's debuff).

CHERLYN
_______

Cherlyn only has three stances, though she gets all of them from the start.  You probably won't use Possession Fire or Evocation Fire.  Inferno is what you'll use.  She's pretty straightforward.  Keep her Fire Aura buff up, summon her Fire Golem, and AOE nuke with her other skills (her second skill just teleports the Fire Golem to her location, in case he wanders off).

I wish I could say I had her, but unfortunately I don't.

CHERLYN THE SNOW QUEEEN

Ice version of Cherlyn.  There is no significant difference between the two otherwise.  Strategy and skills are all exactly the same.

CADET ADRIANA

This version of Adriana has rearranged stats and a different personal skill (Concentration instead of Tactics).  Cadet Adriana will do more damage than normal Adriana, but normal Adriana will survive better.  Also, Concentration only affects Adriana herself, whereas Tactics affects the entire party/squad.  Which is better?  That depends on what you need from her.

CADET ELISA

Again, rearranged stats and different personal skill.  Regular Elisa might have a higher healing throughput, but Cadet Elisa will survive better.  Strategy is the same.

All stat points into HP... I think.

CLAUDE THE MERCENARY

Young version of Claude with is own unique Expert stance.  He's a pretty powerful polearm user.  His only buff is his personal skill Destructivo, which you should have active at all times.   Using him his pretty straightforward.  Deep Sting and Roar of Dragon are single-target skills while the others are multi-target.

Anyone else notice how similar he is to a Dragoon from Final Fantasy?

EMELIA THE SAGE

This is a straight-up better version of Emilia.  She has two more Wizard stances (Psychokinesis and Levitation) and a much higher INT stat.  Pretty much the only way I can think of to make them both useful is to put all stat points for Sage Emilia into INT and all stat points for normal Emilia into HP.  That way you can have a differentiation between the two.  In any case, if you had the both (like I do), you probably won't use normal Emilia at all if you didn't do it that way, but ultimately the choice is yours.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:04:21 pm by Vaduz »